Earlier this year, Seth Godin released a masterful audiobook called Leap First: Creating Work That Matters. I recently listened to it and wanted to share some of his most inspirational words of wisdom about art, business and life in general. Believe me when I say that anyone will benefit from hearing this book.
Pro tip: if you need a super quick boost of inspiration, simply read through the bold statements below and you’ll be ready to seize the day.
- Art is anything we do as a human where we bring emotional labor to the table to make a connection.
- Meaningful work is to change something for the better. The only people who are comfortable enough to make change are comfortable (or eager) enough to make art.
- There is a scarcity of people who care enough to make something beautiful and do work that might fail. If it can’t fail, it isn’t art.
- As creators, we must enhance and embrace tension.
- Once you accept the fact that your story might not work, you can forgive yourself and make a piece of art.
- The person who fails the most will win. In order to keep failing, you have to be good enough to keep playing.
- Your goal is not to change everyone. Your goal is to change someone. Stop comparing yourself to others.
- The goal is to be able to live a life where your habit is to ship and look for the opportunity to be generous.
- We have an obligation to do work that has meaning and will be missed when we are gone.
- The world does not owe you a living, but it has opened the door for you to make a difference.